The fate of badgers may not be the most pressing issue facing UK researchers today. But the handling of the situation offers the first clue about how the government will approach scientific advice. It should leave those who promote evidence-based policy feeling anxious. With weightier topics such as climate change, transgenic crops and research funding on their to-do list, ministers need to wise up, and fast.
- Culling badgers a low priority for curbing cattle tuberculosis (PNAS article)
- Public health and bovine tuberculosis
- Irish badger cull ‘futile’ in controlling bovine tuberculosis
- David Willetts warned over science cuts by universities
- Science is Vital Campaign